Thursday, September 2, 2010

Not a Walk in the Park

Last Saturday our Sampler Guild had our monthly get together. Linda and I arrived quite a bit before anyone else so we had a great chance to chat with each other. I thought I'd show you the beautiful piece she has almost finished. It's called the Six Hem Sampler by Indigo Rose.

Here is a close up of Linda's wonderful stitching. As a newer stitcher, I can't imagine doing this!
DSC01617
After I took these 2 pictures, I put my camera away and forgot to take any more pictures. Too busy chatting! Karen and I also had brought some of our yarn to show each other - indie dyed stuff so we could compare. Needless to say I had a great time!

I mentioned in my last post that I had intended to get up that morning and take a walk but it was raining. Lo and behold it quit raining right after I hit "publish" on that post. So off I went. I live in a neighborhood but to walk any distance you have to leave the neighborhood if you don't want to walk the same route over and over. No parks nearby to walk in as my walk took me along what can be a busy street.
DSC01618
I'm ashamed to say I haven't exercised in months. Greg booked our cabin in the mountains for later this year and if I want to hike while we're there, I need to get off the couch now. How does a girl train for elevation changes when she lives in Florida? Bridges and overpasses. Here is the one I walked over - it's an overpass over an interstate. Looking at the picture, it looks just as flat as everything else around here.
DSC01623
Who am I kidding? I better get my rear in gear and get back to the gym. I have to say, it's not something I enjoy. Endorphins? What are those? I'd love to be one of those people who look forward to exercise. Maybe enjoy it a little. Is that too much to ask? I think it quite possibly might be.

20 comments:

Annie said...

Beautifully stitched piece. Your friend is a fast learner.

I suggest Jazzercise if you need to get back into shape. I got 4-5 times a week and have been doing that since the 80's. Much more fun than a gym. I seem to remember that it's pretty popular in FL, so there might be a class nearby.

http://jazzercise.com/

Unknown said...

that stitchery is beautiful....what mountains do you go to?

natalysneedle said...

The sampler is beautiful. Sounds like you had a great time catching up with your friend.

Pat said...

WOW...that sampler of your friend's is quite impressive. What size is it? (Hard to tell in the photos.)

Margaret said...

Beautiful sampler by your friend! I agree, it's so hard to get oneself exercising. I got out of the habit this summer -- summer always throws me with the kids home. Fingers crossed we both get back in the habit!

JudiB said...

With Fall coming I guess it is time for us all to get in gear..lol. Our spell of hot weather is finally breaking today and tomorrow. This makes you feel a lot more interested in walking.
Nice meeting up with Guild friends. Sounds like a good time.
Enjoy the day.

Judi B.

Brigitte said...

A very nice piece with the detailed sections of the specialty stitches that look like Hardanger.
I can perfectly understand what you feel when you think about going to the gym. I'm exactly the same and I really hate all kind of exercice. Unfortunately, sigh.

Anonymous said...

I still think you would've been better off if you had taken up karate classes.

Beth said...

I have no dedication to exercising. I am horrible about starting and then stopping for way too long. I'm trying to stick with the "Couch to 5-K" program. UGH!

Nancy said...

Linda's sampler is gorgeous! Thank you and Linda for sharing it.

Exercise? UGH! I start it and never enjoy it and end up never doing it!

Jean in Georgia said...

You can totally do the drawn thread work. Come back to GA and I'll give you a lesson... :)

Julia said...

Exercise.....Bah humbug. I don't enjoy it and don't do it nearly enough. Where are you going to be in the mountains? You aren't coming to SE TN by chance are you?

Teresa said...

I am with you...I do not like exercise of any form, but I do feel so much better after I do it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Linda's sampler. It is lovely, I want to learn those hemstitches too.

I hope you find an exercise you enjoy soon. If it just didn't take so long to see results, I am sure it would be easier to get through each session.

Lois said...

What a beautiful sampler! I enjoyed seeing some pics from your area.

Barb said...

What wondeerful stitching...

and photos....

Micki said...

I love the stitchery! As to excercise, how about a mini rebounder? If you get a good one, they are a lot of fun.
Micki

Kim D. said...

Wow Jackie, your friends stitchery is lovely. It looks to be a table runner and in that case I couldn't use it for fear of spilling something on it. That might have to be hung on the wall. I know how you feel on the exercise front, I have to force myself to get out and walk. Although I always feel better when I'm out walking. Looking forward to it cooling off here so I can get out.

Mylene said...

That is a beautiful sampler!

I was doing Zumba a couple of times a week for nearly a year and just these couple of months i was fed up with it and just go for walks for half or an hour. Not enough as i gained a bit so i am glad our regular Zumba starts in a couple of weeks, would be great to do it with a group instead of doing on my own.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Zlaty said...

Your friend did an awesome job on her stitchery! I am sure you can do it! I don;t blame you, it's hard to walk when it's hot!