Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Very Little Creativity....

There is very little going on here with creative pursuits. I did manage to cut out and sew the first block that is posted on Ravelry's Quilters Knitting forum. So far 4 blocks have been posted. I hope the lady who is posting the picture tutorials keeps it up. I'm doing these before starting my Fat Quarter Shop BOMs to see if I can do it.

Lesson Learned: I need more precision in my 1/4" seam.

This block is smaller than it should be. My 1/4" is larger by a thread or two and that has added up. I need to spend some time practicing and I also need to measure my pieces after they're sewn together and make corrections immediately if they're needed. The good news is that I've gotten better at my seams meeting in the right place. This block is not perfect by any means, but there IS improvement! Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Those FQS blocks have way many more pieces than this block does. Any lack of precision is really going to mess them up!
Also this week, Marlene from StitchinByTheLake sent me a book she was destashing. It's a Quilt Journal. There is a place for a picture of each quilt and a spot to write comments. While I'm documenting my quilting history here, I love the idea of having it all in one place and in my own writing. Do any of you keep a journal of your quilting/stitching/knitting/whatever projects? What do you put in them? I don't have a lot of completely finished quilting projects so I should be able to document my journal pretty easily!

Marlene, thank you so much!
I hope all of you are having a good week and are spending time doing the things that you love!

10 comments:

Pat said...

I think your block turned out nice, but you are right...even a tiny fraction of an inch "off" will add up over the course of several seams in a block. I had intentions of journaling all my quilts. I've not done it BUT I do have photos of every single quilted thing I've made (some of which are not 100% completed, but I took photos when they were nearly done anyway). I hope to do something with my photos one day and really should start soon. Might do it in scrapbook format. Many keep the names of the fabrics they used, but I'm just doing the photo, when I made it, and for whom (if it was a gift). I might mention any other thoughts that seemed important while making an item...if I think it might make an interesting read for someone long after I'm gone!

Barb said...

Your block looks wonderful...

julia said...

That's why I don't quilt. I am not a precision kind of person. I want to be and I try to be, but I'm just not. I love the block. The colors are great together. I admire you.

Michelle said...

Your bow tie block looks wonderful! Just keep practicing and checking your seam allowance.

Micki said...

I love your block! I have been thinking of getting a quilt journal..will have to look into it!
Micki

Gigi's Thimble said...

Ooh that block looks beautiful. I love the colors in it. Great job! And the journal is such a great idea to track all of the projects you do.

I'm doing a Christmas giveaway so come back soon to enter! It ends Tuesday. Everyone is welcome to participate! Have a great day!

Tammy said...

Your block looks great! and I hate to say this but practice does make perfect (yikes! I think I just sounded like my Mom)
I would love to journal about my quilts but all I seem to accomplish is taking pictures..I guess that is "journaling" in a very small way.
Your journal book is very pretty

Siobhán said...

I think your block looks great! One of my quilt teachers gave us the tip of putting several layers of tape--all on top of each other--on the sewing machine. Measure out a 1/4 inch seam and put the tape just inside it. That way your fabric always butts up against the layers of tape as you feed them through the machine & they've all got the same SA. Love the idea of the quilt journal!

Anonymous said...

Your piecing on this block looks great to me. I will be looking forward to seeing it form the pattern in your project. I have tried to keep a journal, but am not very good at. Thanks for the reminder.

Simone de Klerk said...

Jackie, I always love reading your learning lessons. I have trouble with my 1/4" seams too. Especially with triangles )O:
The journal is lovely!!!