Sunday, November 1, 2009

Picking Out Stitches

I unsew in quilting, tink back in knitting and now I'm picking out stitches in stitching. Why should I be surprised? :) When I stitched the fence, I realized there just was not enough contrast between the color of the house and the fence. The photo below shows the fence before I picked it out. I'm going to look for something darker or just use the whitish color that was used in windows. I'm really enjoying this project and stitch a bit every day. Like my other fiber interests, I find it very soothing - which is exactly what I need after a hectic day at work.
I saw a piece I fell in love with on a blog. Within 1 minute found an online shop that has the chart, fabric and thread pack that was dyed for the project. Email sent - took about 30 seconds. Plus a pin keep, base and the associated fabric and thread (of course). The retailer emailed me back and they have it all except the base which is on order from market. I thought "this is so easy". This is very unlike me! Someone. Stop. Me.

I need to go check my lottery tickets!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you did quite a bit of stitching in one week! :) I will be looking forward to see the color you 'paint' your fence.

Jeannine said...

You DO realize you are in the WRONG place to ask people to stop you. In fact, tell us all what pattern so we can all recommend some more! LOL!

Simone de Klerk said...

What a lovely house. Your stitches are so secure! Yes, I agree, the fence is too light.
Oh dear, so you discovered the online shopping. I have the very same thing with buying fabrics in US webshops. It is so much cheaper than here and there is so much more to get. And then when I just have a short peek and really really just having a peek, oops, something is in the cart all of sudden. And more. Oh no, not again ... Still waiting for two orders to come ... FUN!!!
Have a lovely week.

Simone de Klerk said...

PS: your email box won't take my emails. I'll try again this week.

Jean in Georgia said...

The technical term is "frog", as in "rip it, rip it". :)

Pat said...

I can see what you mean about the lack of contrast with the fence, but I know you will fix it to look just perfect!

Barb said...

I guess that is just a part of life, picking and picking.....

Julia said...

You are soooo goood at this stitching. I think you are smart to try to find some color that contrasts more. That way your beautiful stitches will show up even better!!!

QuiltSue said...

I think you're right about the fence. A little more contrast would be good, unless you can convince yourself that it is an old, faded fence that needs repainting!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Looks really promising...and I agree the fence doesn't have enough contrast...what will you use instead?

You are too right about on-line shopping...it is dangerous easy!!

woolwoman said...

Great job Jackie - I'm so glad you are enjoying stitching. A new project already on order hummmm ! I'm already pondering what it is just based on your description. can't wait to see it! Enjoy! Mel

Debbie said...

It a great feeling to be so passionate about your projects. Don't you find that your instincts are really right on when it comes to being creative?

I also find hand sewing soothing. Just don't do enough of it.

Vals Quilting said...

Hi Jackie, I love this house you are working on so warm and inviting..agree on making the fence darker - maybe even like a toupe or lighter brown - not sure but keep the continuity there with you other blocks.
Nice job!
Valerie
http://www.pastimesonline.ca/vals-quilting/

Loris said...

Sewing is soothing.