Thursday, July 23, 2009

Being Tidy Isn't in the Cards!

I honestly do not know how anyone keeps a sewing space tidy. This week, I decided to give up! The pictures below are actually not bad. I'm hoping the mess is because I don't have a dedicated sewing space. C is moving out in September and I'll probably take his room over for my own space at some point. I hope that cures most of this organization issue - of course I'll have to get organized to begin with! Oh who am I kidding? It's going to be a challenge for me to stay organized anywhere. Frankly, I think I'm a messy quilter!
I'll have a small walk in closet in that room where most of this can go. I've been thinking about room setup but don't have any concrete ideas. There are so many lovely sewing spaces imore here and here) in blogland to inspire me. I could look at them for hours! There is carpet in the room which I'm not thrilled about. With the expense of buying some furniture and stuff (which will take some time as it is) the flooring isn't up for replacement.
Today's mail had some goodies for me! I won a $100 gift card from Amazon at work. I rarely buy books for me so I decided to blow it all on books. I'm going to spend a few hours curled up in bed with these!
Third attempt at my block with Y Seams. It's not perfect but I'm happy with the progress. The Y Seams were easier after some remedial instruction and the part of the block that lined up into the square came out better. This also was big enough to be cut down to the correct size. The last one was too small. Still to work on: those blasted points coming together in the middle! I realized later that the patterning on the fabric should have been mixed up. Overall, I feel like I conquered enough of this block to be satisfied.
Now I'm going to pick a book and crawl into bed with a pup or 2!

10 comments:

blushing rose said...

Oh, so pretty! TTFN ~ Marydon

Pat said...

I just avoid anything now with Y seams!!! My blog tomorrow will have some links that deal with sewing space organization. I can assure you that myself and MANY quilters I know are "messy" quilters. I think it comes with being creative?? (That's MY story and I'm sticking to it!!!)

Barb said...

Your room is not bad....I call it creative sewing. My room stays a mess...every once in a while my husband will come in and goooooooo your room is a mess.....and I am a quilting pig. How fun....and what great books you got with your prize. Love your block.

Anonymous said...

If only my sewing area were as organized as yours. I have a sewing room, but had to annex the dining room when it got too messy in there. That is a great collection of new books. I will be looking forward to seeing the projects you choose to make. I see what you mean about the center points. I think the fabrics you chose help hide it though. I am sure you will master it on your next try.

woolwoman said...

Hope you get to take possession of the room for your needlework. I love having a dedicated room just for my wool and stuff. It's always a WIP I might add. The block is looking GREAT! I'm not quilter so I am looking at it esthetically and it is pleasing to my eye. Have fun Mel

Micki said...

Congrats on the win and your block is lovely!
Micki

Vicki H. said...

I do all of my sewing in the dining room. I use totes and tuck the sewing machine under the book shelf when not in use.

Your blocks are great!! I have have been eyeing the Sylvia's Bridal Quilt book. I don't buy books often but I indulge when able. Space can be an issue in my house.

Zlaty said...

Me too, :) I am a messy quilter but working on tiding up :) Having a sewing room will help for sure! I am moving back into my sewing room because it makes the whole house messy!

Your block looks great! Good job!

Zlaty :)

ruthee... said...

Sometimes you have to decide: is it more important to clean and organize or is it more important to enjoy. The block is beautiful and I am jealous of the books. =)

Aunt Spicy said...

I can't believe how perfect all your points/corners are! Gorgeous!