Thursday, April 9, 2009

Eating Cactus, Visiting Sedona & Quilting Frustrations

While on vacation last week, G and I ordered Cactus Fries from a local restaurant in Sedona called The Cowboy Club. The food was delicious. Including the Cactus Fries.
And yes, they're actually made from cactus. Actually prickly pear cactus from what I understand. I found some on the side of the road. I can't imagine the pain of preparing such a dish.
If you've never been to Sedona, it's stunningly beautiful and like nothing you've ever seen. We were fortunate enough that my knitty friend Andrea (no blog) offered up her husband, Michael, as a tour guide for us. We didn't get to see her as she was here in Florida for a bridal shower. Michael visited Sedona for a couple of hours while attending a national championship football game in Arizona in the 90's (he's a Gator but so nice we can forgive him for that). He said that he knew then that he had to come back. 12 years later, they've moved there and are full time residents. His knowledge of the area is amazing and having him as a tour guide made our short visit there so much more than we expected. Thank you Michael and Andrea!

G & I in front of some of the red rocks.
I actually brought some small red rocks home with me to put in a glass jar as a reminder of our trip. Corny, I know but whatever! These pictures do not even begin to do justice to the views that you see wherever you are throughout Sedona. You can see parts of these views even from the grocery store parking lot!


We also saw a Sedona Sunset. Just beautiful.
I'm sorry to say that we didn't get a chance to do any hiking. We were simply too busy. Next trip, we're going to change that. And there will be a next time!

Not much going on in quilting and knitting news. I'm really frustrated by not having a dedicated sewing space and having to pack and unpack my quilting stuff. It's been a quilting and sewing downer. With Easter this weekend, I'm not sure how much time I'll have to quilt. I have a knitting class on Saturday. I'm feeling the need to take a vacation day so I can be home alone with my sewing machine. And you know what? I don't feel strange at all for saying that. I know you'll understand!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Gorgeous pics Jackie! Dont feel bad about the rocks, I brought rocks home from the Grand Canyon and put them in a jar! Hey, how often does a girl from Alabama vistit the Grand Canyon! It was one of the best trips ever!

Zlaty said...

Wow a cactus! You are brave! The red rock is beautiful! I have never been there but it looks very beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the beautiful photos. Your friends are lucky to live in such an inspiring place.

That is what vacation days are for. You work hard for them and I can't think of a better reason to use one.

Jean in Georgia said...

The landscape shots are beautiful! My only visit to AZ was to the Phoenix area, and it was just brown and hot to this GA girl...

Hillary said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I understand about the finishing goodness :) I spent many years sewing on my dining room table... then I made the move to a closet and thought myself lucky! Now I have about half a room but it has it's own table so I'm in heaven! I hope you get that day with your sewing machine! Here's to hoping huh!

Teresa said...

Wow...great scenery! Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I know what you mean by needing some alone time with your sewing. Family time is great, but time to yourself is also much needed at times.

Marie said...

Love your trip out West. We did that a year ago last Christmas while we were in vegas went on to Sedona and the Canyon, YOur pictures are beautiful. did you try the pricklu pear jelly--yummy!!I have my little red rocks too. Glad your home safe and sound. Hugs, Marie

Tammy said...

You're pictures are just beautiful. Someday I'm going to get down that way. My hubby was stationed in AZ for the first year or two he was in the Air Force and he just has no desire to go back, but you never know, I may wear him down someday.

Candace said...

I had no idea you could eat those spiny leaves, Jackie! The photos are gorgeous - so glad you got to Sedona - I think its the most beautiful place in the SW.
Cheers!

Jeannine said...

Ah - Sedona's so pretty. Take that day! You deserve it! Tell 'em you need to spend some time with a family member. Sewing machines *are* part of the family, right?

Debbie said...

Magnificent photos. I would have brought rocks home too:)

Irene said...

Welcome home Jackie. It sounds (and looks) like you had a wonderful trip. The sky is so blue - just amazing!

I know exactly what you mean about spending a day with your sewing machine. We all need days like that every once in a while just to reconnect with our craft.

Beth French said...

Thanks for visiting QuiltIsland, Jackie! I love your photos, particularly the one with you and your husband with the Red Rocks (?) behind you. Sure looks awesome! Have fun sewing....

Brenda said...

Your photos are so beautiful. Makes me homesick for anything out "West". Glad you had a good time on your vacation.

ranette said...

I always bring rocks home from where ever I go!!! I've even had my husband pulling a boulder out of a mountain in Colorado before! LOL

I love Sedona, but I wouldn't want to live there. Did you go to Jerome?

em's scrapbag said...

Isn't the Southwest beautiful. We just got back from ST. George.